This is the part that is the most exciting about landscaping or designing your own landscape. After you have prepared all of the other things that I have mentioned in previous posts, you can put it all together and really decide what you want to do! It is time to gather the family or residents together and talk about what each of you want.
I have come up with a check list of ideas for you to think about as you plan. Think about each activity and when you do it, if you do it. Do you want to do it? Time of year you would do this activity. How many people will you involve? Time of day? Go through each one removing the things you don't want and keeping the ones you do. Get everyone's input on each item even considering the family pet(s)! A lot of ideas can be generated this way. Here is the list:
- Barbecuing - daily, once a week, never
- Outdoor kitchens – fire or gas
- Eating - daily, once a week, never, always
- Sitting/relaxing/reading - place to get away
- Sitting/talking – with family or friends
- Entertaining – how many guests do you want to accommodate
- Recreation – games or sports
- Gardening – vegetable, ornamental, fruit trees, container, Bonsai, etc.
- Water gardening – ponds, waterfalls - one of America’s fastest growing hobbies – bring it close to your home for greater enjoyment
- Bird watching – hey little birdie, birdie, birdie
- Swimming pool – nowadays even in colder climates
- Garden railways
- Fire pits and camping in your own backyard
- Trampoline pit
- Pet areas
- Landscape lighting - night life, Paaaaaaaarty!
- Other – whatever you can come up with
Just remember to have fun! I know that not everyone will agree on everything but you will know what everyone does /doesn’t like and can go from there!